Monday, September 7, 2009

Review: 2005 Estancia Shiraz

Slacker? Not me. Especially not when sunny 3-day weekends are involved. Rest assured that ZinfanGirl is never far from the festivies! Being quite the hosts, ZinfanGirl & ZinfanHubby were busy with BBQs, bocce tourneys and poker this weekend. The best thing about hosting parties? All the leftover wine is OURS! *triumphant ZinfanGiggle*

I have actually been keeping a log of recent wine reviews, and will eventually get them all up here. Please check back later this week as I plan on posting many reviews on the site.

Reviewing wine is something I'm still shaky on. Is it possible to be "wrong" about a review? What if I hate a wine everyone else loves, or vice versa? Wine reviewers, please, send your input on this subject my way. And everyone else, please critique my reviews and let me know what I should elaborate on more (or less). I am counting on YOU, my readers, to get better at this whole review thing. See, ZinfanGirl is a nice girl at heart, and fears the day she has to write, "This wine is crap."



So here is today's review: 2005 Estancia Shiraz. A deep, purple-maroon is exactly the color I would expect from this wine. The dark fruit flavors are accentuated with an earthy taste; the wine gets its POW! in its strong back and tingly, lasting finish. Although this Shiraz is from California, every time I sip I can see why it is the wine associated with Aussies: it just begs to be served with a bold, robust meat dish such as lamb or ribs. Overall, it is a great wine to bring to a BBQ, and won't break the bank (BevMo has it on sale for $7.99, $5 off the regular price). But definitely serve it with a well-seasoned, slightly charred chunk of red meat-- this wine would drown out delicate flavors of fish or chicken, and I definitely would not classify it as a wine suitable for serving with dessert (maybe with a dark chocolate-- 80% cacao).

ZinfanHubby has just informed me that Estancia is a member of Constellation, and that we are entitled to tastings & discounts there through our other wine club memberships. Definitely something to keep in mind, as I've been wanting to check out the Central Coast wineries for quite some time now.

Cheers!
-ZinfanGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment