Monday, October 26, 2009

Review: 2007 Ravenswood Mendocino County Zinfandel


First of all, apologies for the less-than-great picture. Second of all, my bottle of Ravenswood’s Mendocino zinfandel is in a *green* bottle—does the one in the picture not look clear to you? And by clear I guess I really mean colorless... anyway, I digress.

Ravenswood's wine maker describes this wine as “very Mendocino.” Not being too familiar with wines from the Mendocino region, I will take his word for it. I’m guessing he means that the cooler weather makes wines from here a bit different than their usual Sonoma juice. There’s only one way to find out…

The blue-red hue conjures up images of rubies. My first sip of this tangy yet berry-forward wine brings to mind one distinct flavor: strawberry fruit Roll-ups. The mild tannins are noticeable, but they work well to balance out the front & back while still preserving the berry goodness that is Zinfandel.

So, Mendocino, I may just have to pay you a visit one of these days. Up for a new ZinfanFriend?

For more info, visit Ravenswood Mendocino Co. Zinfandel

2 comments:

  1. Mendocino is fabulous! My aunt and uncle have a house up in that area so I try and visit there as much as possible, I'd definitely recommend checking it out. Oh, and while you're up there, you should definitely drive out to Russian River Valley. Fantastic wines!
    Beth
    p.s. Check out my wine blog at http://winorhino.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth! I used to go to Russian River a lot in my pre-wine days (otherwise known as childhood). Would love to go up again sometime. Any winery recs?

    ReplyDelete